Learn About Safely Canning Foods BEFORE You Start Canning!
Preserve it Fresh, Preserve it Safe
Food preservation can same you time and money, if done properly. Special precautions have to be taken to ensure that our food is safe from bacteria growth. We strongly recommend that you only use tested preservation recipes.
Our local offices are equipped with Pressure Dial Gauge Testing Units that are available to test your personal dial gauges on your pressure canners. We can test dial gauges for National, Magic Seal, Maid of Honor, and Presto pressure canners. It is recommended that gauges are checked every year. To get your pressure gauge tested, please bring it on the lid to your pressure canner.
Food Preservation Recipes
Preserving food safely starts with reliable, tested recipes and resources. Using practices and recipes from untested sources can lead to a high risk of foodborne illness. We strongly recommend that you should not use old canning methods or recipes from relatives, friends, neighbors, or from untested internet websites.
The following resources have a wide variety of recipes to preserve your favorite foods safely using today's food preservation practices.
- National Center for Home Food Preservation
- USDA Complete Guide to Home Canning
- Newell Home Brands - makers of Ball and Kerr canning products
- Freshly Preserved Ideas - Newell Brands
- Mrs. Wages™
- Kraft - Sure Jell
- Herb Infused Oils - Clemson University Extension
- Canning Timer & Checklist App - Oregon State University
- Preserve Smart - Colorado State University